Contents: This kit does not include a completed garment
1. Cover sheet with photos of the completed garment.
2. This piece of paper which lists the contents of the kit.
3. Sewing Pattern #203 with Instructions and Pattern.
4. Embroidered Fabric. Enclosed is 1 yard of 100% cotton voile fabric that has been preshrunk and preembroidered with Motif Chemisette # 1. The fabric has been laundered in a machine and dried in the dryer twice. The first time was to preshrink the fabric. The second time was to remove the backing and markings from the embroidered motif. The fabric may be either manufactured by Kaufman or purchased from Dharma Trading Co. The embroidery thread is Madeira 940-7801 Frosted Matt color white. It is not shiny. It can be ironed on the back side on the polyester setting on your iron. Cotton thread breaks too easily to be used in this machine embroidery application. There are 30,765 stitches in each of the motifs for a total of 61,530 stitches. This motif was copied from an extant example in the author's collection. Please note that occasionally in the stitching process some loose ends of threads are created that need to be trimmed away. This can happen when a bobbin runs out or there is a jump stitch, for instance. We do our best to trim these but there may be a few hanging threads or jump threads we did not notice. Simply trim these threads close to the stitching.
5. A full size template of the front of View A which has a printout of the embroidery superimposed on it. This template is exactly like the pattern piece #1 in pattern 203 except it also has the blue colored image of the embroidery on it. The intent is to help position the pattern piece over the embroidery to help avoid guess work before cutting. However, the user can position their pattern piece and embroidery wherever they wish. The template is a suggested placement only. Inside the pattern instructions are layouts which will show the placement of the other pattern pieces on the rest of the fabric.
Please note that the embroidered portion of the fabric may not match the template printout exactly.
The embroidered portion shrinks a small amount when laundered since no backing can keep the fabric completely flat and unaffected by the tension of the stitching. It is normal for an embroidered piece of this size to shrink
approximately 2.5% over the whole length, more or less. So do not be concerned if your motif does not match the template exactly. It may be either a little bigger or a little smaller. If you use the center marks to position your embroidery the results will still be very good. Do not assume the motifs are in the exact same spot on the fabric. It is best to cut them out individually instead of on the fold.
Following is a list of what you may wish to purchase separately to complete your chemisette:
1. 2 to 3 yards of 1/8" or 1/4" ribbon or cotton twill tape for the bottom ties. 100% cotton twill tape can only be found online. Wrights Trim Company manufactures a package of 1/4" wide by 4 yards long polyester twill tape that will work well and can be purchased at large chain sewing stores.
2. Optional-2 yards of ready made trim-Either cotton lace or embroidered cotton trim, sometimes called "eyelet trim", can be purchased separately to trim the neck and center front. Trim as narrow of 5/8" will work but the wider the trim, even up to 1 1/4 inches wide, will be more showy. There are many Etsy shops that stock embroidered cotton eyelet trim. The best place to find fine cotton lace is online in shops that specialize in vintage and heirloom sewing. Modem nylon lace does not look like the type used in
If you are wondering about the 203A-1 Chemisette Embroidery Kits cost, here is the breakout:
The fabric plus shipping charges averages at $8.00 per yard.
The sewing pattern and instructions are $9.95.
An average rate for machine embroidery is $1 per thousand stitches. Each of the motifs are 30765 stitches. Two motifs are about 61530 stitches. At one dollar per 1000 stitches the cost for both is $61.50.
The parts of the process that we are not charging for (which are free) are the hooping cost, the cost of double laundering and ironing, set up or digitizing fee. That makes the total $79.45